My 20th high school reunion just happened this past weekend in Philadelphia. I wasn’t about to fly to the other side of the globe to attend. Instead, using Ning, I managed to quickly and easily put together a site for my classmates to post their pictures, bios, videos and messages. Most people were on Classmates.com, but that site is such a miserable rip-off, only an idiot would pay for it, so it’s worse than useless.
It’s been really fun catching up with people, learning what’s happened to people I knew so well in a former life. Things I’ve observed so far:
- Somewhat surprisingly, most people have not moved more than 30 miles away from our high school
- The ladies were really working the desperate housewives look at the reunion
- The guys were all taking the night off from their bingo game at the old folks home
- When I tell people the Sopranos is the closest thing to a reality show on TV they need to believe me
- Seeing the photos of kids of people who I can only remember as kids themselves is very trippy and wonderful
- Fuck, I’m old
On the tech side, I had my doubts about Ning when it launched. It looked interesting and promising, but completely confusing: what was it exactly and who was it targeting? I’m really glad they sorted it out. They’ve done a great job and I’m really grateful for it.